The Earth Holder Regional Community Builders
What? The Earth Holder Care Taking Council seeks to recruit, orient, network, and support a group of 20-25 experienced Plum Village practitioners from diverse backgrounds to serve as spiritual organizers or “Regional Community Builders.” The “Builders” will encourage and coordinate PV sanghas and members to engage in Earth Holding practices and mindfulness-based Earth and Racial Justice work in their local communities.
Why? Earth is calling on us to help heal the deep wound of separation that has given rise to global warming, racial and social injustice, environmental degradation, and decline of reverence for life in all its forms. Our mindfulness practice and Thich Nhat Hanh’s teachings have much to contribute to humankind’s efforts to face our collective situation; handle grief, numbness and fear; and attempt to curb the worst suffering.
There are more than 500 local PV sanghas in the US and 1,271 across the globe. There are likely to be practitioners in each of those sanghas who would like to engage in mindfulness-based climate justice activity under the umbrella of their Plum Village community. The Regional Community Builders will help facilitate their participation.
How? Through orientation and networking, Regional Community Coordinators will:
- form their own sangha for practice, training, reflection, and support
- offer Earth Justice information, sangha practices, and days of mindfulness
- support sanghas or members to offer PV practices in the wider community earth and racial justice efforts
- inspire and encourage each other by sharing the successes and learnings with other Regional Community Builders and the larger Earth Holder Community.
Next Steps? If this sounds interesting, we ask that you read this full description of the project here. If you then want to apply, please submit the application by October 1, 2019 to Simona Coayla-Duba at firstname.lastname@example.org.
|The Earth Holder Regional Community Builders Planning Team|
|Additional links for “Builders” include:|
Earth Holder Call to Action
Begin with the Global Strike for Climate Action
Around the world, young people are staging school strikes to demand governments do their job to protect the climate. Now, those students ask for grown-up participation in a Global Climate Strike on September 20th, followed by a week of climate action.
While some Earth Holders cannot afford to walk off our jobs for a day, we encourage Earth Holders who can to join the effort and mindfully speak and act in ways that build understanding and nourish our precious planet.
What can you and your Sangha do to support Climate Strike week? Here are a few ideas to get your creative juices flowing:
- Walk in peaceful solidarity with students and others in your community who aspire for a future to be possible.
- Organize a “flash sit” in a public park with signs inviting others to “Break your routine and give Earth a break” Here are some ideas for organizing a flash sit.
- Provide deep listening opportunities–imagine sitting on a bench or a chair with a sign saying, “Concerned about Mother Earth? Fellow citizen willing to listen.”
- Insulate your home and swap out incandescent for LED light bulbs
- Volunteer with a non-profit to build a bike trail
- Plant trees
- Host a plant-based Sangha pot luck
- Write love letters to news editors and policy makers sharing what’s in your heart. Learn how to write “love letters” here.
- Learn about your local climate reality: what’s at risk and what are local and state leaders doing about it?
Remember, as adults in the September 20th Climate Strike and Week of Climate Action, our role is to support and amplify the voices of young people. Here is a great article from 350.org on how to do just that. Click here to learn even more.
GIFTS FOR YOU: Let these Earth Holder event resources amplify your message
- Event invitations for political, church, and media leaders
- 11 x 17 promotional flyer
- 16 x 20 poster for a “Flash Sit”
- 11 x 17 poster supporting children
- 11 x 17 poster of Thay
- Another 11 x 17 poster of Thay, (or here is the same poster sized 18 x 24)
Connect through Social Media: #EarthHolders4ClimateStrike
Rather than acting alone, you can participate and communicate as a member of the Plum Village mahasanga. Through the Earth Holder Community we can share our efforts, post photos and resources, inspire each other by posting on Earth Holder social media (see links on the bottom of this page) using the hashtag: #EarthHolders4ClimateStrike (or #EHC4ClimateStrike will work, too). Let’s make new friends across the globe, deepen awareness and experience in applied Buddhism, and build our engaged practice muscles. For more information, contact Simona Coayla-Duba at Simona [dot] CoaylaDuba [at] gmail [dot] com.
THEN, GIVE MOTHER EARTH THE NEXT 18 MONTHS
The next 18 months contain key events that will most likely have a huge influence on the shape of the future. This means there are an infinite number of ways to stay engaged after the September 20th Climate Strike and week of engagement. How we take action as a Plum Village community is best determined by each local sangha or group of sangha members.
Falling in Love with Mother Earth
In December of 2011, journalist Jo Confino from The Guardian interviewed Thich Nhat Hanh about falling back in love with Mother Earth. CLICK BELOW to watch the interview.
Here is the link to the 10 Intimate Conversations with Mother Earth referenced in the interview.
Practicing regenerative action
Have you heard about the Extinction Rebellion and the non-violent actions people are taking around the world to bring compassionate attention to the climate crisis? Here, Br Phap Linh and Sr Hein Nghiem discuss their experience with the rebellion, strategies for non-violent action and continuing beautifully.
More Mindful Way Forward
In April 2019, the Earth Holder Community Embraced a More Mindful Way Forward.
Engaged Dharma with Kaira Jewel Lingo
September 22, 2019: A spiritual Response to the Climate Crisis with guest presenter Nomi Green.
CLICK HERE to learn more or to register in advance.
What is an Earth Holder?
Anyone who is committed to practicing mindfulness, compassion, healing, and non-violence to protect each other, all beings, and the Earth is invited to be part of the Earth Holder Community. READ MORE>>>